German VO + English subtitles

Rinu
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

German VO + English subtitles

Beitragvon Rinu » Fr 19. Okt 2012, 16:08

Hi,

First of all, let me thank you for selling your games via GOG. I bought Deponia there and I think it's a decent game. It's nice to see that developers of adventure games haven't died out yet :). However English voice-over is its weakest link. I've heard samples of EN/DE dubbing of Deponia and Edna and I have to say it's such a shame to be unable to choose language track because German VO sounds way smoother in both cases.

Do you plan to enhance your games by giving a player a choice to pick up the language combination of dubbing and subtitles? If no, could you please consider it?

Good luck, Daedalic.

Galdring
Forenmoderator

Re: German VO + English subtitles

Beitragvon Galdring » Fr 19. Okt 2012, 21:30

Hello Rinu,

it's nice to hear that you like Deponia (and, also, not so nice to hear that you don't like the English VO ;)). But as far as I know, there are currently no plans to include an option for a different VO and subtitles-option. Of course, we might consider it for future releases.

Kind regards,
Galdring
Community Moderator
Daedalic Entertainment

Vielleicht habe ich deinen Schlüssel gefunden, Schnutzipu...

Rinu

Beitragvon Rinu » Sa 20. Okt 2012, 11:54

Hi Galdring,

Thank you for your response. You would make one person very happy if you add that option in your future project/releases :). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

In my opinion, Deponia's English VO was better than a majority of re-dubbed non-English games. For example, I didn't encouter any situation where a character switched between moods (angry/calm/terrified) too quickly however nothing beats original. Voice actors have this kind of chemistry which isn't in foreign voice overs. Be it Deponia, Mafia, Everlight, The Witcher or Black Mirror. I don't diss them or anything; they just tend to break the immersion a little. It's how I feel, it isn't an universal truth, of course.

By the way, for those who are interested - it's possible to play The Breakout with DE dubbing and EN subtitles. Delete OGG files inn the folder [game's dir]/data/speech_en.jar and copy OGG files there from speech_de.jar. 7-Zip Manager in admin mode is useful for this. Certain files might be missing, though (I have to check it).

I guess it's time to finally meet Edna, help her to escape and dust my poor high-schoolish German in the process :twisted:.

hnoor0044

Beitragvon hnoor0044 » Fr 11. Mär 2016, 07:43

Voice actors have this kind of chemistry which isn't in foreign voice overs. Be it Deponia, Mafia, Everlight, The Witcher or Black Mirror.

Zurück zu „Alles Übrige / Everything else“