GOG release

Beitragvon Ingsoc » Fr 26. Feb 2016, 17:25

When could we expect a GOG release?

Tauli
Gnom(in) der Zensur

Re: GOG release

Beitragvon Tauli » Sa 27. Feb 2016, 11:07

Hi,

I asked a similar question in another thread in german an only got a very general answer saying something along the lines of "we'll release the game through the usual stores". Didn't say anything about if this would happen on launch day or at a later date. So the game should eventually end up on GoG, but they won't say when.

Lebostein
Tüftler(in) des Schwimmenden Schwarzmarkts

Beitragvon Lebostein » Fr 11. Mär 2016, 16:29

A (very crazy) theroy: The head of Deadalic, the Bastei Lübbe publisher don't allow a DRM-free release. To prevent a huge shit storm in the important days of the release, Daedalic is silent about that point so the fans do not give up hope for a DRM-free release... If a GOG release were planned, then Daedalic had already announced the game on GOG. But at the moment you can't find the game in the GOG release list for the next weeks....

Bakhtosh
Tüftler(in) des Schwimmenden Schwarzmarkts

Beitragvon Bakhtosh » Fr 11. Mär 2016, 17:30

Lebostein hat geschrieben:The head of Deadalic, the Bastei Lübbe publisher don't allow a DRM-free release.

Well - that can't be the case in general. According to Carsten Fichtelmann the german retail version will be DRM-free.
He said it in the german Adventure Corner Interview: Link
Between 3:20 - 3:35 he said:
... und dann wiederum wollen natürlich viele der Kunden, die so ein Retail Produkt kaufen, auf gar keinen Fall Steam haben. Und um das zu verhindern, Steam würde sich dann ja automatisch updaten, wird die Retail Version DRM-free sein. ...
Translation:
... and then again many customers who buy a retail product don't want Steam at all. To prevent Steam, which would update the game automatically, the retail version will be DRM-free. ...

The part about Steam updating the game has something to do with the context of this quote. Carsten explained the reasons why the game was released only via Steam and a german game magazine (a disc version connected to Steam) and other distribution channels will get the game later. Oh - and he talks only about the german retail version I think.

So at least the german retail version is supposed to be DRM-free.

I can totally understand why Daedalic first only released the game via Steam and a german game magazine (there's already a thread discussing the strategy itself). But now that the release date of the DRM-free german retail version was announced I don't really understand why there's not even a word about a GoG release date. Even a "were not sure about an exact date but it will be released within the next few weeks" would be helpful. So that people who prefer GoG get the info that it will be released via GoG at all.

Tauli
Gnom(in) der Zensur

Beitragvon Tauli » Sa 12. Mär 2016, 02:38

Lebostein hat geschrieben:A (very crazy) theroy: The head of Deadalic, the Bastei Lübbe publisher don't allow a DRM-free release.

The game is already available DRM-free on the Humble Store (since about one week after the initial release). So your theory is not only "crazy", but also absolutely false.

To be honest, at this point i just don't know what the plan behind the way this game is released is. It probably went something like: strike a deal with Computerbild Spiele -> ??? -> profit. This is also not the first time that a Daedalic game is released with a huge delay on GoG. It probably will happen eventually though. But that's all just guesswork. The sad thing is, that i've given up on asking questions on this forum. I have never seen any strait answer given here that goes beyond of what is already public knowledge. Even if it is just some benign detail like what languages are available on an already released title.

Zurück zu „Allgemein / General“