[Spoilers] Does Deponia 4 Warrant a Deponia 5? InfoGathering

MrWaffle
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

[Spoilers] Does Deponia 4 Warrant a Deponia 5? InfoGathering

Beitragvon MrWaffle » Sa 23. Apr 2016, 01:04

Cross-posted from the Steam community forums - information gathering rewards accessing multiple groups.

I've read most of the posts here and on the Steam community forums (what's in English, anyway) and I certainly have my stances on the endings. I think Deponia 3 was great but the ending made no sense character-wise and was forced for the purpose of a lesson or something, and that Deponia 4 exists to both justify Deponia 3 as well as provide hope for whatever you want in one of the many timelines that now/did/has exist(ed) (also, the elephant Utopians make far more and worse plot holes than they supposedly solve). Let's put a bunch of that behind us for now and move on, as the story teller seems to want us to. What is left?

A HUGE universe with incredible stories left to tell, uncertain status of characters (even Rufus), and a great lead in to more games: Goal, who now embodies Rufus' hope for life and the will to move on. So, based on this series entry (and the rest), what do we know, and what can become of this universe?

According to the elephant Utopians we know that eventually humanity reaches Utopia and lives (in peace?) without the use of Elysium - which was a deathtrap for all involved. We know that Goal is alive (I mean "future-Goal", other Goals very well also but future-Goal is best positioned plot-wise). We know that there are wars in the Waste of Time land, which is what and when exactly (old Deponia? somewhere else?)? And we know that the actions taken by Rufus and Goal did not stop those wars. What else do we know from Deponia 4 that is left unsolved, uncertain, or wide open for more great tales, preferably without forced plot happenings?

What else could go into a Deponia 5: Utopia, in which perhaps Goal is our star character rather than a plot-significant secondary and is on a quest to bring humanity to Utopia? Whether or not such a game is ever created, this discussion might clear some plot points in Deponia 4 (and the previous series entries).

Emares
Retter(in) des Müllplaneten

Re: [Spoilers] Does Deponia 4 Warrant a Deponia 5? InfoGathe

Beitragvon Emares » Sa 23. Apr 2016, 07:30

Well, Future-Goal is not the only main caracter alive in present-time!
There were three Rufi behind the seats in the time-machine:
one in stonetime Deponia,
one who makes Goal and original-Rufus let go each other,
one who flys with the Utopians to Utopia at the end.

He crawls still there, even while Goal gets saved by those elephants, so he is still there, while they let future-Goal go on Deponia, when they fly to their homeworld!

I made a timeline, even if ist in german, Google-translator could help...

Best wiches
Markus
Dateianhänge
Rückbank.png
Rückbank.png (37.79 KiB) 3285 mal betrachtet
Ihr sucht nach Deponia-Fanfictions? Vielleicht sind Argus' Aufstieg, die Elysium-Triologie, die Toni-Tribute oder Utopia ja was für euch!?

Liebe Grüße
Markus

MrWaffle

Beitragvon MrWaffle » Sa 23. Apr 2016, 23:10

I used my translation powers (Google translate) on your timeline. Thank you very much!

I am confused about the timeline junction from "Rufus is in the backseat", though. You have a line from that entry straight to "Future-Goal is brought back to Deponia by the Utopians". There is also a line from "Rufus is in the backseat", through "McChronicle and Rufus steal the Timepod", to the event where Rufus dies and Goal survives. In that event both Rufus and "original-Rufus" fall.

Are you claiming that there were two Rufus's in the backseat at one time? Or that somehow in one timeline the Rufus in the backseat skips the Timepod stealing and Rufus dying event?

Let me know if my translation seems odd.
Dateianhänge
RückbankEnglish.png
RückbankEnglish.png (26.66 KiB) 3262 mal betrachtet

MrWaffle

Beitragvon MrWaffle » Sa 23. Apr 2016, 23:20

MrWaffle hat geschrieben:Are you claiming that there were two Rufus's in the backseat at one time? Or that somehow in one timeline the Rufus in the backseat skips the Timepod stealing and Rufus dying event?

I'm going to quote myself: you're right, if I remember correctly. Rufus gets into the backseat of the Timepod that the Utopians use to bring future-Goal back to Deponia. It's all really convoluted, but if that Rufus succeeds at stopping the time loop he never ends up in the backseat of the stolen Timepod but instead is with the Utopians as they travel back to Utopia.

But if that is what happened, why didn't Rufus stay with future-Goal when she was brought back to Deponia? He's in the backseat of the Timepod that the Utopians used to drop future-Goal off. This is all really strange. Are we certain we have this correct?

Emares
Retter(in) des Müllplaneten

Beitragvon Emares » So 24. Apr 2016, 07:37

I think you got it.
But never forgett: every change with a time-machine produces a invalid timeline (that's the reason, there were three Rufi at the end).
Even if Rufus on the backseat is from an invalid timeline, he still exists when the timeline is repaired.

It is really strange, that he did not say one thing, but remember: those elephants are truly idiots!
They may have killed him, because he should not be there, they think.
Traveling to Utopia and maybe trying to come back later seems saver.
Perhaps he produces a fewlock-catastrophy there; "thanks for nothing, hugs and kisses from Deponia!" :lol:

So or so, it's a happy-end the man with the crystal-ball fortold: "can someone survive that? I must tell you to bring as much room between both of you!"
In this case the distance of space!

Best regards
Markus
Ihr sucht nach Deponia-Fanfictions? Vielleicht sind Argus' Aufstieg, die Elysium-Triologie, die Toni-Tribute oder Utopia ja was für euch!?

Liebe Grüße
Markus

MrWaffle

Beitragvon MrWaffle » Mo 25. Apr 2016, 17:42

I can see that. It does seem a little silly, and frustrating, though. The only reason the fortune-teller told Rufus to put distance between himself and Goal is because the Utopian elephants were convinced, in error because they are stupid as you point out, that Rufus needs to die. It was ultimately the Utopian's threat to cut the rope that forces Rufus to fall or be saved, and the same threat that forces Goal's death and the destruction of everything.

If the Utopians didn't try to cut the rope, Rufus and Goal would be alive and together just fine, and nothing would have been destroyed. The joke is on the Utopian's, though, because if our time chart is correct, Rufus may well have survived the fall (maybe) and another Rufus is with them on the way to Utopia, perhaps to cause chaos.

What's stopping a Rufus who knows he's going to fall to prepare himself a landing? There's so much untold in this ending.

Zurück zu „Deponia Doomsday“