[Solved] [Steam] Lag, "1 File failed to validate"

Stabbey_TC
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

[Solved] [Steam] Lag, "1 File failed to validate"

Beitragvon Stabbey_TC » So 25. Nov 2012, 18:57

EDIT: Problem resolved, see below.

I bought the Steam version of Deponia and the game lags terribly, making it virtually unplayable and certainly unenjoyable.
One issue that I have been unable to resolve is that when I try and validate the files through Steam, it always comes back with the message "one file failed to validate and is being reacquired", no matter how many times I try re-validating. I even deleted the local content and re-downloaded the entire thing and it didn’t change anything.

When I start up the game, the developer logo splash screen is black (I can hear the splash screen audio, I just can’t see the logo), but I can see the menu fine (the game just performs poorly).

My System Specs meet or exceed the Recommended requirements listed on the store page:
  • Windows 7 (64-bit)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 – 2X 2.67 GHz
  • Asus P5K Motherboard
  • 4 GB DDR2 RAM (4 * 800 MHz)
  • ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I never had the demo installed, so it’s not old demo files causing confusion. My system language is and has always been English (US).

I have made several attempts to fix Deponia, based on various suggestions on various forums.
  • Deleted the local content and re-downloaded it. I still got the “1 file failed to validate” message.
  • Verified that my desktop DPI settings are at 100% (96 pixels per inch).
  • Re-installed the newest graphics drivers
  • Installed the Reaktek HD audio drivers
  • Tried using the “dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe” in the resources directory.
  • I’ve tried directly running the executable in the Steam directory (as administrator).
  • I’ve tried running it in XP compatibility mode.
  • Under a suggestion, I tried playing with the config.ini file (after backing it up first, of course). I tried changing UseTextureCompression to Enabled, but that just crashed the game on startup.
  • Disabled my anti-virus protection before trying to validate the files through Steam. I still got the “1 file failed to validate” message.

I’m very frustrated and have no idea what else to try. Attached is my Dxdiag and MSinfo output.

Please, please, can someone help?
Dateianhänge
STC_DxDiag-msinfo.zip
DxDiag and MSInfo
(56.19 KiB) 130-mal heruntergeladen
Zuletzt geändert von Stabbey_TC am Mo 26. Nov 2012, 23:37, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Comrade Suhov

Re: [Steam] Lag, "1 File failed to validate"

Beitragvon Comrade Suhov » Mo 26. Nov 2012, 20:27

Have you tryed changing some configs in VisionaireConfigurationTool.exe located in your 'Steam\steamapps\common\Deponia" folder?

Galdring
Forenmoderator

Beitragvon Galdring » Mo 26. Nov 2012, 21:10

Hello,

it looks like you have basically tried anything that we generally recommend to try, which is a good start (but even more confusing, because it didn't work).

Comrade Suhov is right, though - you could try checking the Visionnaire Config Tool and check that the bit-number given there is exactly the same as the one used for your Desktop graphics - if it's another one, the game will crash.

Regarding the re-validating file: It's something we have heard of for other games released on Steam, but it shouldn't actually pose a problem.

Regards,
Galdring
Community Moderator
Daedalic Entertainment

Vielleicht habe ich deinen Schlüssel gefunden, Schnutzipu...

Stabbey_TC

Beitragvon Stabbey_TC » Mo 26. Nov 2012, 21:42

I turned off "HD Video", and that let me see the "Daedalic Entertainment" splash screen and new game title movie, but the performance is still poor.

Enabling Texture Compression just crashes the game on startup. Here's what the dump file said, even though I'm not sure it helps:

Code: Alles auswählen

This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(14c8.5a8): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=00000000 ebx=0018efa4 ecx=00010000 edx=00000100 esi=00000274 edi=6dfcb2c0
eip=77320bd2 esp=0018d904 ebp=0018d914 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00210246
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12:
77320bd2 83c404          add     esp,4

I used the Visionairre config and tried the resolution all the way down at 640x432, and that at first seemed to make the game and mouse cursor more responsive, in the tutorial and at first in Rufus' room, but even then it gradually got worse, to the point that it took several attempts to accomplish simple things like "close the bathroom door". Should the game be using about 50% of my CPU time and almost 1 GB of RAM? Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

If by bit-number, you mean the one beside "Colour Depth", then yes, my display setting is using 32-bit colour, the same as the game.

Stabbey_TC

Beitragvon Stabbey_TC » Mo 26. Nov 2012, 23:36

Problem Resolved!

I got a suggestion from elsewhere to update my Video Drivers through Steam. I did try updating my video drivers earlier, but my mistake was going to the manufacturer's website and looking for a new driver, but the one they had for download was older than the one I already had.

The game is now working as smooth as silk in full resolution with the HD videos enabled.

Galdring
Forenmoderator

Beitragvon Galdring » Di 27. Nov 2012, 13:33

Hello Stabbey,

it's great to hear that your game is working now. Yes, ATI/AMD doesn't update the graphics card drivers for their 4000 series anymore, but since you said you had already updated them I didn't think of that as the cause for the problem...

Anyway, we hope that you enjoy Deponia (and, hopefully, Chaos on Deponia later on ;)),

Best regards,
Galdring
Community Moderator
Daedalic Entertainment

Vielleicht habe ich deinen Schlüssel gefunden, Schnutzipu...

rasha

Beitragvon rasha » Mo 29. Feb 2016, 10:49

I did try updating my video drivers earlier, but my mistake was going to the manufacturer's website and looking for a new driver, but the one they had for download was older than the one I already had.

Zurück zu „Technische Unterstützung / Technical support“