I bought the Steam version of Deponia and the game lags terribly, making it virtually unplayable and certainly unenjoyable.
One issue that I have been unable to resolve is that when I try and validate the files through Steam, it always comes back with the message "one file failed to validate and is being reacquired", no matter how many times I try re-validating. I even deleted the local content and re-downloaded the entire thing and it didn’t change anything.
When I start up the game, the developer logo splash screen is black (I can hear the splash screen audio, I just can’t see the logo), but I can see the menu fine (the game just performs poorly).
My System Specs meet or exceed the Recommended requirements listed on the store page:
- Windows 7 (64-bit)
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 – 2X 2.67 GHz
- Asus P5K Motherboard
- 4 GB DDR2 RAM (4 * 800 MHz)
- ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
I never had the demo installed, so it’s not old demo files causing confusion. My system language is and has always been English (US).
I have made several attempts to fix Deponia, based on various suggestions on various forums.
- Deleted the local content and re-downloaded it. I still got the “1 file failed to validate” message.
- Verified that my desktop DPI settings are at 100% (96 pixels per inch).
- Re-installed the newest graphics drivers
- Installed the Reaktek HD audio drivers
- Tried using the “dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe” in the resources directory.
- I’ve tried directly running the executable in the Steam directory (as administrator).
- I’ve tried running it in XP compatibility mode.
- Under a suggestion, I tried playing with the config.ini file (after backing it up first, of course). I tried changing UseTextureCompression to Enabled, but that just crashed the game on startup.
- Disabled my anti-virus protection before trying to validate the files through Steam. I still got the “1 file failed to validate” message.
I’m very frustrated and have no idea what else to try. Attached is my Dxdiag and MSinfo output.
Please, please, can someone help?