Another words to Daedalic about Goodbye Deponia ending

Soul
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

Another words to Daedalic about Goodbye Deponia ending

Beitragvon Soul » Mi 16. Apr 2014, 17:03

Daedalic Entertainment is named after the ancient Greek artist, inventor and architect Daedalus, who according to myth designed the labyrinth as well as wings made from feathers and wax. These elements are found in the company logo, and are reflected in the corporate philosophy of perfecting the art and craft of game design.

Come on Daedalic, I'm sure you are fully aware that the ending is still far from perfection. Please do something about this. I'm sure many other Rufus' fanboys/girls and I will support you on this. The Deponia universe still has far more potential and stories left to discover than to scrap it away forever.

I saw a quote from Poki stated that if Rufus is still alive it wouldn't br good for him because he is too chaotic to stay peacefully on Elysium or play water slide all day without wreaking havoc. I believe that there are other ways than just to "kill" the character and end the story while it is rather uncomplete.

Some parts of the story is left unsolved which makes the ending much more terrible. (Yes, making tragic ending out of a comedy game is still somewhat acceptable but left the game open ended? No.) There are many questions left:
What happens to Deponia after the game ends?(You know there is no strong indication that Elysium will not try to blow up Deponia for its own survival.)
What is the fate of the space ship "Elysium"?(Since there are 10,000+ more residents on Elysium than before and that will make supplies on Elysium deplete more quickly.)
Are the Organons still going to take over Elysium?
What happens to the kids in the sewer?
What will Goal do afterwards?(Try to convince herself that "Rufus" that she saved is actually Rufus or go back to Deponia trying to find real Rufus or else.)
And most importantly, Is Rufus really dead?

So, now I'm asking you to make another game (or perhaps another trilogy) that shares the same universe as Deponia trilogy. Please fix the ending as it gave me such heavy depression as it left so many story bits untold and separate couple which I really put efforts to make them together. Am I asking too much?

TranquilnElf

Re: Another words to Daedalic about Goodbye Deponia ending

Beitragvon TranquilnElf » Sa 19. Apr 2014, 10:26

I digress..

I've just completed the first game and in my enthusiasm to peek into the next two , I checked online and , well, came in for a shock
Yes I read a bit of the spoilers and from what I understand the ending is something far from what a lot of people wanted .
But am not sure if that makes it bad design ;)

Here's my thoughts . Bear in mind, that I have not yet played the remaining two but am piecing together my opinion on the scraps of spoilers that I read ( thank goodness I stopped soon enough ;) ) + how Rufus develops in the first title

When I first started Deponia , excited as I was about revisiting the golden days of adventure games of Monkey Island , I became quickly frustrated with Rufus , and his pigheadedness. Many puzzles or tasks would have been far less tedious if he weren't so egotistical, and myopic.
Then as the game progresses towards the late stages, you can tell he really does have a fatal flaw, and the frustrations of the character I felt earlier were as a result of this personality flaw ( Granted it's not made clear in those earlier stages of the game , given that you are playing the guy ! )
Plus when you begin to find out about his history ( personal and of Deponia ) at the Ascension station, you begin to feel for the guy and appreciate the predicament he is in and the way he behave

Inspite of that , he does the right thing , and that lead into the second game is awesome and you begin to see him 'changing'

Now , flash forward to the ending of the series, and Poki's response on another thread here on what kind of a person Rufus is, and how the ending fits the vision he had
It seems to me, from what I've read , Rufus made the choice and willingly sacrificed himself to save someone else he loves.
Poki describes him as the perfection of the type of person that is always chasing the impossible. In this case , the impossible dream could be an act so selfless that it takes your life

In this case it would be a fitting, thought provoking end. i.e. We strive for the ideal, always running always chasing, but in the end , the ideal we are after is within ourselves and may not be found in our surroundings and possessions. ( That's just one theory ;) ) Certainly better than a flat hero-gets-the-girl ending.
And if a game has a power to do that, power to evoke such complex arguments, ( and believe me I've seen quite a few so far ) , that's good game design in my book :D

Btw, I realize I am late to the party at Deponia, and these arguments may have been made before, so apoligies

~TNE

Soul

Beitragvon Soul » Sa 19. Apr 2014, 16:00

Since you have not finish 2 later episodes, so I will try my best to spoil anything to you.

I agree that the hero's sacrifice ending might be a good ending or even better than hero-gets-the-girl ending. But I, for one, believe that the ending doesn't fit the game. Since the genre is comedy , so I had come to expect that I would find a good laugh or two throughout each part of the playthrough, not this tragic ending which also leaves so many things open ended. And the later one is much more disappointing. They should have told us what would happen next, or at least leave some hints. If I were to figure out ourselves what will happen next that much I wouldn't had have to play the game in the first place. Since I got this trilogy almost purely for the story.

TranquilnElf

Beitragvon TranquilnElf » Sa 19. Apr 2014, 16:21

Thanks - appreciate the measured response without spoilers :)

I understand and appreciate your frustration -
When I first saw the trailers, I was expecting a comedic joyride as well - with flavours of Monkey Island tossed in.

Towards the end I got a hint of something much more deep ( But definitely nothing tragic ) Perhaps that's just it - the divergence between how the game was marketed / advertised as a comedy - happy - go -lucky - ruffian - to - hero , and how it actually turned out, really left a sour taste in the mouth of many .

Well that would be about as much as I could comment without fully playing the game for now.
When I do, perhaps I will gain a better insight into the level of that frustration! :) ... oh joy.. lol

~TNE

Haravikk
Fahrer(in) des Doktors

Beitragvon Haravikk » Do 31. Jul 2014, 08:45

Okay, my own take will definitely need the spoiler tags, so here it is:

Spoiler: show
The way I choose to interpret the ending is that Rufus is forced to make a sacrifice to stop Argus (as even saving Cletus is better as both Deponia and Goal will be saved). In doing so he falls onto the walk-way below, while Argus is the one seen falling to his death (explaining the way he laughs).

Rufus is however now trapped below the rotor blade again, with no time to escape to Elysium, so he throws his clothes up to Cletus to use as a disguise, before rejoining the other Deponians (Bozo, Toni etc. in the tank) to land back on the surface in the damage high ship.

Goal knows that what Elysium needs is a Rufus, and so convinces Cletus that he can be that (after all, they're clones), the disguise is presumably because the Elysians knew the old Cletus to be the stuck up arrogant nuisance that he is.

Rufus meanwhile is trapped on Deponia, though this probably won't prevent his crazy schemes, hopefully with his friends showing newfound respect for his ability to somehow save everyone, and the sacrifice he has made in being trapped there (maybe even Toni will respect this).

Of course it would have been nice if the ending would have confirmed something like this, perhaps with a scene of Rufus' friends discussing his sacrifice, even as a silhouette flies off in the distance in some mad contraption.

While this would still be a clear end for the Deponia series, I think there is still ample room for a game or two set on Elysium, with Goal and Cletus trying to find a way to save the city. This would still give room for a happy ending without Rufus playing a part in the games, for example if Elysium ended up landing on Deponia, then the pair could be reunited.

Lescant

Beitragvon Lescant » Sa 2. Aug 2014, 05:44

Haravikk hat geschrieben:Okay, my own take will definitely need the spoiler tags, so here it is:

Spoiler: show
The way I choose to interpret the ending is that Rufus is forced to make a sacrifice to stop Argus (as even saving Cletus is better as both Deponia and Goal will be saved). In doing so he falls onto the walk-way below, while Argus is the one seen falling to his death (explaining the way he laughs).

Rufus is however now trapped below the rotor blade again, with no time to escape to Elysium, so he throws his clothes up to Cletus to use as a disguise, before rejoining the other Deponians (Bozo, Toni etc. in the tank) to land back on the surface in the damage high ship.

Goal knows that what Elysium needs is a Rufus, and so convinces Cletus that he can be that (after all, they're clones), the disguise is presumably because the Elysians knew the old Cletus to be the stuck up arrogant nuisance that he is.

Rufus meanwhile is trapped on Deponia, though this probably won't prevent his crazy schemes, hopefully with his friends showing newfound respect for his ability to somehow save everyone, and the sacrifice he has made in being trapped there (maybe even Toni will respect this).

Of course it would have been nice if the ending would have confirmed something like this, perhaps with a scene of Rufus' friends discussing his sacrifice, even as a silhouette flies off in the distance in some mad contraption.

While this would still be a clear end for the Deponia series, I think there is still ample room for a game or two set on Elysium, with Goal and Cletus trying to find a way to save the city. This would still give room for a happy ending without Rufus playing a part in the games, for example if Elysium ended up landing on Deponia, then the pair could be reunited.

I never thought of it like that. It makes a lot of sense. Thank you for this. This game cause me literal depression because I didn't want rufus to be dead.

EDIT: I just realized that all this cannot be considering argus and cletus have a goatee while rufus has 3 hairs for a beard, and the person we see falling has three hairs for a beard. Sadly even though it was well built your story no longer works entirely.

Haravikk
Fahrer(in) des Doktors

Beitragvon Haravikk » Sa 2. Aug 2014, 12:40

Lescant hat geschrieben:EDIT: I just realized that all this cannot be considering argus and cletus have a goatee while rufus has 3 hairs for a beard, and the person we see falling has three hairs for a beard. Sadly even though it was well built your story no longer works entirely.

Hmm, true, but then that's always been for our benefit; other characters somehow could never tell the difference. There are still some possibilities, though they are somewhat weak; either that was just to mess with us (i.e - like the laugh), or perhaps Argus changed his to try to fool others into thinking he was Rufus, or by accident (after all Cletus attacked him and all three were spinning round on a giant rotor blade). Definitely a stretch, but if it's a choice between ignoring the detail or being unhappy with the ending, I choose the first one ;)

Lescant

Beitragvon Lescant » Sa 2. Aug 2014, 22:17

Haravikk hat geschrieben: Definitely a stretch, but if it's a choice between ignoring the detail or being unhappy with the ending, I choose the first one ;)

I'd like to choose that one too haha. :) we all hope Rufus lives.

Zurück zu „Allgemein / General“