WHY DEPONIA ENDING WAS SO DESAPOINTING

Belgabor
Gnom(in) der Zensur

Re: WHY DEPONIA ENDING WAS SO DESAPOINTING

Beitragvon Belgabor » Fr 15. Nov 2013, 15:51

Actually it's not even necessary to notice that. The head of the elder council explicitly tells that Elysium is now in even more trouble regarding its ressources since the Organon and Deponians are now on board.

Xlb13
Erzeuger(in) des Ohrenschmalzes

Beitragvon Xlb13 » Fr 15. Nov 2013, 16:06

well, I didn't see he telling the names "organon" and "Deponians" this number of people increasing could be the births, on elysium since elysians had childrens as well^^

Belgabor
Gnom(in) der Zensur

Beitragvon Belgabor » Fr 15. Nov 2013, 18:40

Ah ok, with all this discussion here I apparentry misremembered.
I rewatched the scene and in German he says "With all the new inhabitants...". While not as explicit, for me this clearly refers to the Deponians and the Onganon.

Pand3mic
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

Beitragvon Pand3mic » So 8. Dez 2013, 19:54

Wait a minute....There's even more questions ! First of all in the third part when Rufus gets in that circular robot and injects Goal with some kind of fluid (Im not very sure what it is actually) Goal says "Because...I love Rufus" .... so im asking the creators why didn't they give Goal and Rufus a good ending considering that Goal loves Rufus...if that's not enough for you i have another question...The elders said that they wont have enough supplies to stay in the air forever,they will have to land on Deponia sooner or later.And so i think its better to have a continuation of the series about Elysium landing on Deponia . I dont know what the story will be but i think it's better that way,because there are many questions left unanswered.Buuuut in the second part in the end (i think i heard it then) when the guy was singing he said "Things come in threes" which means that there will be no continuation which is bad.And on top of all im still wondering if Rufus is alive after the fall...I won't stop thinking of Goal and Rufus together.I mean after all Rufus deserved his happy ending,even though he made so much dumb mistakes splitting Goal's mind into three pieces and all that.In the third part in the end i remember Goal saying that if it wasn't Rufus they wouldn't even notice when Elysium drops the bombs to Deponia.After all Rufus DID the right things and i think he needs a happy ending.I hope the creators of the game see my opinion and consider it somehow,even though i saw that one of the creators said that there wont be any new game or sequel...I don't know...if someone knows the answers to these questions please make another answer to the topic,because im really curious ! ;)

5cripto
Erzeuger(in) des Ohrenschmalzes

Beitragvon 5cripto » Mo 9. Dez 2013, 05:05

Pand3mic hat geschrieben:Wait a minute....There's even more questions ! First of all in the third part when Rufus gets in that circular robot and injects Goal with some kind of fluid (Im not very sure what it is actually) Goal says "Because...I love Rufus" .... so im asking the creators why didn't they give Goal and Rufus a good ending considering that Goal loves Rufus...if that's not enough for you i have another question...The elders said that they wont have enough supplies to stay in the air forever,they will have to land on Deponia sooner or later.And so i think its better to have a continuation of the series about Elysium landing on Deponia . I dont know what the story will be but i think it's better that way,because there are many questions left unanswered.Buuuut in the second part in the end (i think i heard it then) when the guy was singing he said "Things come in threes" which means that there will be no continuation which is bad.And on top of all im still wondering if Rufus is alive after the fall...I won't stop thinking of Goal and Rufus together.I mean after all Rufus deserved his happy ending,even though he made so much dumb mistakes splitting Goal's mind into three pieces and all that.In the third part in the end i remember Goal saying that if it wasn't Rufus they wouldn't even notice when Elysium drops the bombs to Deponia.After all Rufus DID the right things and i think he needs a happy ending.I hope the creators of the game see my opinion and consider it somehow,even though i saw that one of the creators said that there wont be any new game or sequel...I don't know...if someone knows the answers to these questions please make another answer to the topic,because im really curious ! ;)

If there was a happy ending where Rufus gets the girl, the message of the game would be: Be an asshole and get the girl.
And I don't think Rufus deserved that.
Rufus had to change his personality and the only way of changing was him sacrificing himself. That's the reason he had to die in that way.

IMO there shouldn't be a sequel just because of the unwritten story of Elysium and the lack of resources. Futhermore there shouldn't be a sequel to the problem of global warmin either which boath lead to the destruction of their planets.

Pand3mic

Beitragvon Pand3mic » Mo 9. Dez 2013, 09:25

5cripto hat geschrieben:
If there was a happy ending where Rufus gets the girl, the message of the game would be: Be an asshole and get the girl.
And I don't think Rufus deserved that.
Rufus had to change his personality and the only way of changing was him sacrificing himself. That's the reason he had to die in that way.

IMO there shouldn't be a sequel just because of the unwritten story of Elysium and the lack of resources. Futhermore there shouldn't be a sequel to the problem of global warmin either which boath lead to the destruction of their planets.

But wait.He changed.I mean in the first game when he was on the boat,he could easily go to Elysium and that would be the end.Then he didn't know what would happen to Deponia (Project Utopia) and wouldn't do anything.
About the sequel is just my opinion.I'm not sure and won't believe if Rufus died after that fall.There's always another way,I'm sure.I know why you think he's an asshole.I kinda agree with you because he did so much stupid mistakes,but still he did all he could to stop the attack.Even when he had to clone himself in three(But come to think of it,if it wasn't Hermes he wouldn't be revived again.And I still don't know where the dead body of Goal came from,because later you see the Organon throwing her off the tower.And if your asking,that baby Rufus cloned was Donna).
After all there are still many questions unanswered.And we,the fans, are curious to know what happens next,but Poki said that there wont be any continuation. :(

FreeBird
Forscher(in) der Feenwelt

Beitragvon FreeBird » Mo 9. Dez 2013, 15:54

Rufus story is concluded. It doesnt really matter if he is dead or not because either way he wont be coming to Elysium. If he is alive he will just go back to what he did pre-part one, but will allways fail, as he allways does. And if he is dead then well, he is dead, no problem there.

I dont think Goal and Rufus had to get a happy ending just because she said that she loved him, thats just unrealistic and not even clichee-romantic. Even Romeo and Juliet did not have a happy ending, remember?

The other questions left open arent that important at all. Whatever happens to Elysium from now on is not part of Rufus story and is better of left open in my opinion. Deponia is not a Hollywood-story.
Bekennender Steam-Fanboy

wyspa

Beitragvon wyspa » Mi 25. Dez 2013, 01:39

Well i think that the end was disappointing not because of the death of Rufus, but rather because of the way it was executed.

First of all i also don't buy writer explanation regarding indecisiveness of Goal (with all due respect for the writer, after all I love this story). Goal was indecisive in Deponia 1 and 2 but in 3rd part from the beginning to start it was clear that the Rufus is only one she would chose. Even in final moment, after learning that she could rescue only one she wanted to chose Rufus not Cleatus or Angus. So for me that argument is out of the way.

I find that fuzzlefluff in his post: here did pointed out some good arguments, but I disagree on this opinion a bit.

First of all if we consider what happened after Rufus fell from the boat that part is just as it should be.
After all we have to realize that Cleatus was a rival of Rufus but not a bad guy after all... he didn't try to destroy Deponia, in fact he did try to help Goal after talking with her. Also he spared Rufus live even thou he had chance to kill him on several occasions.

He was egocentric and arrogant just like Rufus, but unlike him he was a perfectionist. This is why in Deponia 2 Cleatus didn't have problem with leaving the part of Goal that he found imperfect on the planet. Even thou he claimed he loved Goal (with is probably true) he still thought it would only make Goal good to leave this part of her behind, thus reviling this part of his nature.
That's also why he found Deponia so disgusting and Rufus to be inferior to himself.

However the moment that Rufus sacrificed himself he found out that in fact Rufus was the better one. That's probably why he decided to go on with Goal plan to pretend he is indeed Rufus (we can clearly see that Goal knows he is Cleatus and I think that she came up with this disguise). Goal and Cleatus realized that although destruction of planet was postponed, Elisium and Deponia was still in need of Rufus, the hero that Cletus never have been. That means that Cleatus has changed, if only a bit. Now the new protagonist is Goal and it is her responsibility to keep Cleatus in check and clean all this mess.
in this respect ending is just as it should be.

However execution of Rufus death is the weak part. Situation that the player was provided with didn't seem like totally grave one, and we didn't have time to accommodate with the though that indeed this time Rufus will die.
Goal wasn't really in any grave danger, so Rufus decision seemed out of place.

I Find it it would be more appropriate if Angus was eliminated a bit earlier (after all he was the bad one) and authors provided us in situation when both Cleatus and Rufus as well as Goal lives were in danger (like Cleatus and Rufus hanging on Goal, dragging her down). Then if Cleatus wouldn't let go Rufus would have to sacrifice himself to save her.

This way we could have some time to "swallow" whole situation and it would seem like only possible solution for this problem.
That in my opinion would affect reception of ending in a big way.

Krdan

Beitragvon Krdan » Sa 28. Dez 2013, 03:42

I recently played the games, I consider the Deponia trilogy a masterpiece, and I'm fine without the happy ending, but the thing that I consider really disturbing is the sense of uselessness that I was left after ending the last game.

I mean Rufus does not reach Elysium (that's the only thing I consider fitting the series), Elysium is going to collapse back to Deponia, so not only nobody will going to feels better, but even the few elisian are going back to living in trash, and Goal is melancholic (or it's what I understood in the last few frames).

The feeling is that the entire adventure is really pointless, if that was the original purpose it's perfectly achieved, but in my opinion that game deserved something better.

The only deeper and saddest moment I found in the entire game is the opening of the closet where is the supposed corpse of Goal at the cloning station, but the difference is here we have been given a chance.

That's my small feedback, and I would like to see more Deponia-based games, with or without Rufus. Great work anyway.

Nekayah

Beitragvon Nekayah » Di 28. Okt 2014, 04:20

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just finished the game and was wondering about the ending. (And a cursory search of the forum didn't show a more recent English thread on the subject.)

My initial feeling was disappointment too. After going on a substantial journey, you expect payoff. You expect a reward. The ending did not have that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. Sometimes, a work of art should end in mystery, but if the archetypal need for accomplishment isn't satisfied, it will feel hollow. Our hero went through his journey of transformation, only to have his reward slip through his fingers in the end (our reward as the players too, as we identify with him). That is my initial reaction to the ending.

However, now I've read through this thread and it got me thinking. I am glad that Rufus was shown falling, but not dying. The ambiguousness fits the character perfectly - personally I think there's no chance he could be dead. He's too wily for that. I am sure he'll find another way to reach his Goal, as long as he is not shown as definitely dead. AND MAYBE EVEN THEN. :D I am also glad that there is no definitive solution for the Elysium - Deponia conflict. If they had all gone to Utopia it would be the wrong message. After all, didn't the Elysians first reside on Deponia, and made it filthy like it is? If they went to Utopia, who's to say they wouldn't destroy that planet too, and restart the cycle? Landing Elysium back on the planet and trying to solve the problems together sounds like a much more satisfying and realistic ending. It is actually a very powerful message for us on Earth: we have to clean up our messes because we won't find a Utopia to escape from them (have you SEEN those pictures of Mars? There's only rocks there!!! And no breathable air).

Ultimately, I don't think the ending has quite hit the target. It satisfies in one aspect (mystery), but misses in the other (reward). If it had succeeded in both aspects, it would've been a true masterpiece. But, if it had only gotten the "reward" aspect without the mystery, it would've been a mediocre sort of payoff. Something predictable, already seen and expected. I'd rather have the mystery of the ending as it stands, as it leaves so many things open to wonder about and imagine!

If I try to think of a game that thoroughly satisfies both aspects, it's Benoit Sokal's games. Syberia I&II and Paradise, those endings both round up the story perfectly, deliver substantial reward in the end, and give us deeper knowledge of the game world. And still they leave us wondering.

All in all, this was an intensely satisfying game series. It's the type of game that gamers like me live for! I grew up with the old point and click adventures, and was grumping that there weren't any new ones like that anymore... until I found Deponia! It is a game series I will wholeheartedly recommend (and replay more than once).

If the developers should read this - thank you for creating something truly thrilling and entertaining! You've created something great, give us more! :)

(and try to give your poor protagonists a bit more reward next time ;) )

Zurück zu „Allgemein / General“