Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 16:53

It's strange, because I played the demo and the videos seemed fine in that.

I picked up the full version earlier off Gamer's Gate (I had preordered), I downloaded and installed it without problems, the game launches and I have no problems there, I start a new game and the video plays up until the narrator says that's too weak for happy stories, about that time or a second after it starts stuttering, so much so that the video is impossible to watch. It's a half-second stutter that repeats 10-20 times before going to the next stutter.

I've done all that I can think of to solve this problem. I updated my codecs, I tried setting the game to just one core in task manager, I've tried full screen and windowed modes, I've tried disabling visual themes, and at this point I'm at a loss and unsure as to how I could proceed. Again, the demo did seem to work fine. So it might be some codec or something that's change on my system since the demo, or there might be something else at play here, but I can't solve this problem myself.

My operating system is Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit), if that helps.

I'd really welcome any help anyone could give me. Just to note, the game plays fine, the only problems I have are with the videos.

(Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried shutting down my virus scanner, too. No luck.)

(Edit 2: I'm currently re-downloading the demo for evaluation, to see whether it's a problem that's popped up on my system, or whether the demo still works okay for me, as this might pin it down. I have a theory that it might be an incompatibility with Windows 7 and the DRM used. I'll report back with my findings.)
Wulf
Erzeuger(in) des Ohrenschmalzes

Re: Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Beitragvon mowren » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 17:37

Hi Wulf

Please check if the game was installed into the "program files"-Folder using the default installation path. If that's the case than the Windows Virtualstore function is the most likely explanation for this behaviour. This System, introduced with Vista, is know to cause problems on some PCs at times if the game isn't run as administrator or if you change the windows user after installing the game.
To avoid further problems caused by the Windows Virtualstore please deinstall the game and install it to some other location than "program files".

Greetings
Daedalic Support
mowren
Daedalic Entertainment

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 17:42

Thanks for responding!

I should have mentioned that I was aware of those issues, sorry! I've experienced issues with that before, so I install my games in another directory. Currently, The Whispered World is installed here: C:\Games\The Whispered World

I've also tried various forms of compatibility (98, XP, Vista), and I've tried both running it as administrator and not, but every test I've run results in stuttering and skippy video.

I wish I could offer more info, but that's why I'm downloading the demo to see what happens there. Once I have that, I might be able to provide some more insight as to what's going on.

(Edit: Cleaned up typos.)
Wulf

Beitragvon mowren » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 18:03

The Gamersgate version is supposed to be DRM free, so that shouldn't cause any troubles. Codec updates are also ignorable since the game uses an build-in Codec to play the Theora movie files.
I suppose your system meets the minimum system requirement but did you check if your graphic and sound drivers are up-to-date? Or did you reinstall the game to make sure the video files aren't corrupt?

The game requires OpenGL 2.0, which shouldn't be an issue with modern day graphics cards but some driver versions aren't working as intented. And it shouldn't be a problem if the demo runs flawlessly. The game is also know to have some issues with the drivers of SoundMax Onboard Sounddevices.
mowren
Daedalic Entertainment

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 18:33

There was DRM on the Gamer's Gate version though, I had to activate it with a key, so it uses an online activation system. Perhaps there are other retailers though which do a DRM-less version, in which case I regret buying from GG.

I'm going to investigate drivers too, since I don't want to sit on my laurels, I'm going to do my best to see if I can figure this out. I'm going to start with the demo and sound drivers, since you mentioned that, and I'll keep investigating until I find something that can help.

Thanks for the info though, I'm sure this'll be solved eventually!
Wulf

Beitragvon mowren » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 19:49

After a little bit of research there appears another possiblity. The download and encryption system used by GamersGate to verify your purchase. On top of our installer they use their own downloader tool which might have conflicts with our installer. In that case you should contact the customer support of GamersGate and investigate possible solutions for corrupted downloads.
mowren
Daedalic Entertainment

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 22:12

I honestly believe that to be the case, mowren, and I don't think that this is any fault of Daedelic. I really don't. In fact, I'd like to say that I preordered because I played the demo and thought it to be a truly lovely little game. I'm also happy to report that he demo has no issues. So I'm convinced it is DRM, but not your DRM, the DRM that Gamer's Gate applied to the purchase.

One thing I'd like to stress to anyone reading this: This is a fantastic game, it really is, I urge anyone who likes adventure games to buy it, but don't buy it from Gamer's Gate.

Back on the topic of reporting, I also noticed a few more things you might be interested in: The demo launches faster, for one thing, there's a long, long pause with the GG version, the animations of the title screen are also about 20% slower. I don't know what the Gamer's Gate authentication system is doing, but it's not good.

I'm going to try a quick experiment, once I'm done, I'm going to report back and then hound Gamer's Gate about this. I really must apologise too for bringing the issue here, as I had no idea initially that it was a GG issue, but now I do.

[Update]

I just tried swapping the exes from the demo with the GG version, it's something that works on rare instances but I didn't have much hope, it didn't work here either but I figured it was worth a shot. Either way, the demo runs beautifully but the Gamer's Gate version is horrible, it's laggy, it has stuttery video, and you might want to poke them about it since their DRM has pretty much butchered the game.

I'm going to pester them now to see if I can get a refund so that I can buy TWW elsewhere.
Wulf

Beitragvon Kain8686 » Sa 24. Apr 2010, 15:32

Hello, i had the same problem, but managed to solve it. The problem is not with the distributor, its either the game or windows itself (dont know which to blame). So, right click on the game's shortcut icon than properties. Go to the Compatibility tab. Put a pipe to the following 2 lines:

Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition

Than press OK. After it the game ran perfectly on my comp. As i stated, i don't know if the problem is with the game, and it doesnt like the visual themes, or its something to do with Windows. It could even be our video card (I have an integrated one in my laptop).

I hope I could help. I wish you lots of fun with this great game.
Kain8686
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

Beitragvon Wulf » Sa 24. Apr 2010, 16:03

You and I are suffering different problems, because I all ready tried that and it didn't work, not to mention that the demo doesn't need either of these things done to it in order to work.

It's misleading to claim that your problem is the same as that of other people, too, since they might think it's safe to buy the game from Gamer's Gate, which it isn't because they'd only end up in the same position as me.

I tried almost every trick I could think of to make it work, nothing did, the demo works perfectly, and there's a confirmation in another thread that the Metaboli version works whilst the Gamer's Gate version does not. I'm sorry if I'm coming over strongly, but I really do love this game, I want to play it quite a lot, and I have no desire to see other people landed in the same dire situation that I've found myself in.

So I just need to stress that you might have fixed the DRM problems that way, but I couldn't.
Wulf

Beitragvon Kain8686 » Sa 24. Apr 2010, 18:27

Hi, im sorry than. You wrote that your problem was

"I start a new game and the video plays up until the narrator says that's too weak for happy stories, about that time or a second after it starts stuttering, so much so that the video is impossible to watch. It's a half-second stutter that repeats 10-20 times before going to the next stutter."

Exact same thing happened at me, so thats why i thought that we had the same problem (and also the developers movies at the beginning had this problem if i waited some seconds). The demo is fine for me aswell. So i think it could be helpful for those people, who has this problem, since it could fix the game for them as it did for me. HOWEVER you are quite right that if the game is broken where you bought it, than it could be misleading.

You really wrote that you tried all kind of compatibilities, but you didnt write that you tried to check these boxes (i didnt enable any compatibility mode or administrator rights), so sorry, i thought it could help. I hope your problems will be solved.
Kain8686
Clown(in) der Traurigkeit

Nächste

ZurĂĽck zu Technische UnterstĂĽtzung / Technical support