Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 16:53

It's strange, because I played the demo and the videos seemed fine in that.

I picked up the full version earlier off Gamer's Gate (I had preordered), I downloaded and installed it without problems, the game launches and I have no problems there, I start a new game and the video plays up until the narrator says that's too weak for happy stories, about that time or a second after it starts stuttering, so much so that the video is impossible to watch. It's a half-second stutter that repeats 10-20 times before going to the next stutter.

I've done all that I can think of to solve this problem. I updated my codecs, I tried setting the game to just one core in task manager, I've tried full screen and windowed modes, I've tried disabling visual themes, and at this point I'm at a loss and unsure as to how I could proceed. Again, the demo did seem to work fine. So it might be some codec or something that's change on my system since the demo, or there might be something else at play here, but I can't solve this problem myself.

My operating system is Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit), if that helps.

I'd really welcome any help anyone could give me. Just to note, the game plays fine, the only problems I have are with the videos.

(Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried shutting down my virus scanner, too. No luck.)

(Edit 2: I'm currently re-downloading the demo for evaluation, to see whether it's a problem that's popped up on my system, or whether the demo still works okay for me, as this might pin it down. I have a theory that it might be an incompatibility with Windows 7 and the DRM used. I'll report back with my findings.)
Wulf
Erzeuger(in) des Ohrenschmalzes

Re: Videos unwatchable due to stuttering.

Beitragvon mowren » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 17:37

Hi Wulf

Please check if the game was installed into the "program files"-Folder using the default installation path. If that's the case than the Windows Virtualstore function is the most likely explanation for this behaviour. This System, introduced with Vista, is know to cause problems on some PCs at times if the game isn't run as administrator or if you change the windows user after installing the game.
To avoid further problems caused by the Windows Virtualstore please deinstall the game and install it to some other location than "program files".

Greetings
Daedalic Support
mowren
Daedalic Entertainment

Beitragvon Wulf » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 17:42

Thanks for responding!

I should have mentioned that I was aware of those issues, sorry! I've experienced issues with that before, so I install my games in another directory. Currently, The Whispered World is installed here: C:\Games\The Whispered World

I've also tried various forms of compatibility (98, XP, Vista), and I've tried both running it as administrator and not, but every test I've run results in stuttering and skippy video.

I wish I could offer more info, but that's why I'm downloading the demo to see what happens there. Once I have that, I might be able to provide some more insight as to what's going on.

(Edit: Cleaned up typos.)
Wulf
Erzeuger(in) des Ohrenschmalzes

Beitragvon mowren » Fr 23. Apr 2010, 18:03

The Gamersgate version is supposed to be DRM free, so that shouldn't cause any troubles. Codec updates are also ignorable since the game uses an build-in Codec to play the Theora movie files.
I suppose your system meets the minimum system requirement but did you check if your graphic and sound drivers are up-to-date? Or did you reinstall the game to make sure the video files aren't corrupt?

The game requires OpenGL 2.0, which shouldn't be an issue with modern day graphics cards but some driver versions aren't working as intented. And it shouldn't be a problem if the demo runs flawlessly. The game is also know to have some issues wit